Programs for 2017 are scheduled by Lynn Sykes. Mary Day is responsible for the Fat Quarter Drawings and Block of the Month. Instructions for the Blocks-of-the-Month are available at meetings until they are gone. Contact Lynn or Mary if you have questions or suggestions.
BLOCK DRAWING DOWNLOADS
- 2017 block and fat quarter drawings (.pdf)
- Instructions coming
Messiah Lutheran Church, Kingston Pike at Golf Club Rd.
- 5:30 Quilt Show Committee Meeting.
- 6:30 SMQ Guild Social Time
- 7:00 SMQ Guild Meeting
2017 Guild Meetings
Jan 3 –
- Fat Quarter Drawing – Bright and Royal Colors (blue, purple, gold, etc.) for a bright new year.
- Modern Quilting from Stitches ‘N Stuff Quilt Shop. Their store located at 7553 Barnett Way in Powell.
Feb 7 –
- Challenge quilts presentation
- Block-of-the-Month – Twin Darts
Mar 7 –
- Fat Quarter Drawing – Pastels, solid or print
- Presentation by Peggy Payne of New Covenant Quilting. Her business started as she began to do long arm quilting for herself and others. She has done custom-ordered quilts for customers and worked at a local quilt shop. She began to design quilts for customers which led to her publishing patterns. She will talk about how she got into designing and share her patterns with us.
Apr 4 –
- Block of the Month – Wheel of Destiny
- Presentation by Jodi Savage/Whistlestop Retreat. She will speak on Quilt Retreats are about more than just sewing.
Members had the opportunity to bid on the library books at the February and March meetings. The remaining books are being brought to the April meeting and will be available for members to purchase for a one hour period starting at 6 pm. Books will be priced at approximately 20% of retail with most books going for $4 to $5. There are over 400 books available for purchase. After this the next opportunity to purchase the books will be at the June quilt show.
May 2 –
- Fat Quarter Drawing – Yellows solid or print
- Round robin make-and-take stations. Surface embellishment techniques.
Jun 6 –
- Block of the Month – Bow Tie Wreath
- Quilt Show Meeting. Bring small quilts to be sold at the quilt show. Members will vote for the small quilts that will be up for silent auction at the show.
July 10 –
- Ice cream social and garage sale. Because the regular meeting date is the 4th of July, the board picked an alternative date. Bring a topping and everything else will be provided.
Aug 1 –
- Fat Quarter Drawing – Reds and Oranges
- Bingo. Everyone will make a quilt block that is a 5 x 5 grid and we will play bingo and have small prizes. The instructions come from Fons and Porter. After the meeting all the blocks will be donated to the Ronald McDonald House group to make quilts.
- Participants in Holiday Row Robin, your first row is due at this August meeting. More information regarding the Row Robin is in the July SMQ Newsletter
Sep 5 –
- Block of the Month – Propeller Block
- Presentation by Flora Joy author of “Trispective: the 3-N-1 Quilt” and “Wall Quilts with Hex Appeal: A How-To Book with Complimentary Embroidery Designs“.
Oct 3 –
- Fat Quarter Drawing – Blues and Greens
- Fiber on a Whim – Harnessing My Creativity
Nov 7 –
- Block of the Month – Tick Tack Toe
- program (TBD)
Dec 5 –
- President’s Block – TBD
- Dinner/UFO exchange/Election
January 5, 2016
UnFinished Object (UFO) Exchange
February 2, 2016
Challenge Quilts will be submitted and judged.
March 1, 2016
Program will be by Nancy Fischer from Knoxville,
April 5, 2016
May 3, 2016
Special presentation by award- winning quilter, Loretta Painter.
June 7, 2016
Small quilts and organizing for the quilt show
July 5, 2016
Quilter’s Yard Sale and ice cream social.
August 2, 2016
Miriam Land will present the program, titled “I EQ, DO YOU?”
September 6, 2016
Cindy Stuart will give a program on the Quilt Appraisal Process.
October 2, 2016
Marian Sykes will present the program, “If You Want to Sew, You Are Going to Need Thread!”
November 1, 2016
Betty Kaliszak from Sevierville will give a trunk show of her quilts and talk about how she paints fabric.
December 6, 2016
Christmas party and election of officers, UFO Exchange.